Creating the Independent Research Model

by | November 16, 2008

So, really, why don’t advisors research and publish in their own profession? We know the value of research to ourselves, our profession, our institutions, and especially to our learners. Lack of time, money, energy all contribute, but in my case, I think that my biggest barrier is that I don’t know how to get started. When I researched my dissertation, I had a lot of support including mentors, faculty, manuals, expectations. Although, I became sick and tired of family and friends asking me when I was going to finish my dissertation, the incessant nagging was motivating. Now, without structure or perimeters, I have only my own nagging inner voice insisting that research is the only way to move forward as a doctoral advisor.

I loved being a doctoral student. I loved the exchange of ideas; learning new theories, knowledge, thoughts; and especially the camaraderie of other learners. As an independent researcher, I want to recreate the doctoral experience as an independent research model. To this end, I have gathered resources that mimic my doctoral experience including mentors, manuals, money (grants), and even coursework. On Friday, December 12, 2008 at 1:00 PM CT, I plan to attend the webinar Infusing Research into Practice: Multiple Pathways to Conducting Research in Academic Advising . Camaraderie seems to be the most difficult task in recreating my doctoral experience, but if anyone is interested, I will move the webinar from my one-butt cubicle to an appropriate conference room and we can all benefit. Who wants to bring the popcorn?

2 Responses to "Creating the Independent Research Model"

1. Johnna Williams says:

Laura:

I agree: one of the biggest hurdles I have faced in my dissertation process is getting started. I also agree that doctoral advisors should (and must) contribute to the field by way of conducting research. We have a strong voice and knowledge of what we do, how we do it well, and what we know to be impactful to our learners. Asserting advising as a profession rather than a work title is exciting, daunting, and necessary. I will bring the popcorn, so count me in on the webinar.

Johnna Williams

2. BMartinMouton says:

The doctorial process should be considered by PhD candidates as the experience that is personal with the attitudes and attributes that determine progress and success. Universities provide priorities for students to ahead to that includes goal statements, specialization outcomes, extensive research, learning theories, trends that advance knowledge, put the University’s objectives, and desired outcomes first for successful outcomes. This is achievable through submitting academic scholarly papers that are essential requirements and contributions of graduate students ‘ human growth, development, knowledge, and skills in a specific field of study.

Therefore, devotion, commitment, fidility, rigorous evaluations, and assessments of the doctoral contributions to improve teaching and learning are acknowledgements that doctoral work is not easy. It requires extensive, worthwhile, capable, and positive attitudes to work as a scholarly student to earn the doctoral degrees.