December 31, 2010

by | December 31, 2009

It is always at this time of year we stop and reflect on what has occurred in our lives over the past 12 months. What have we accomplished? What would we have done differently? This is the time that we resolve ourselves to make the changes that will bring our goals closer to us in the upcoming year. I am no different than most – I spent 2009 wanting to achieve many things. I hit some goals and missed many others, so my focus is now on the new year. My New Year’s Resolution is going to be a bit different this year, however…

What can I do to change my 2010 to live with more purpose?

I have had an epiphany. It is ridiculous in its simplicity, and I am ashamed to admit that I haven’t thought these words in this sequence before. Here it is: December 31, 2010 is going to come whether I have accomplished anything, or not. Time doesn’t care if I have finished my dissertation. Time doesn’t care if I have improved my health. Time doesn’t care if I have reached out to lost loved ones. Frankly, time doesn’t give a you-know-what.

The only “thing” that cares about what matters to me, is…me. I have to take the control. So, right here and now, I am making my stand to be more intentional in 2010. I am not making grandiose, unrealistic resolutions, like “I will finish my dissertation by April”, or “I will lose 30 pounds in 3 months”. Instead, I am going to be intentional and purposeful in what I do, and in how I do it. I am going to remember, EVERY DAY, that December 31, 2010 will come, no matter what I have/have not accomplished.

Do what works for you, learners. Write a little every day. Hug your kids every day. Tell someone you love them every day. Be thankful for something every day. Get up and be a little physical every day. Read an article of interest to you every day. Listen a little more, every day…

I heard once that it takes 28 days to create a habit – maybe intentionality can become yours. Who knows what you can accomplish by December 31, 2010 if you stop setting unrealistic deadlines and unattainable goals?

May you have a safe, healthy, and happy 2010.