Shank Speech to Chamber

May 29, 2011

Capella’s founder, Steve Shank, delivered an important keynote speech last week to a conference hosted by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Institute for a Competitive Workforce on the role of innovation in education. Steve’s speech was provocative and well received by the audience of roughly 200 leaders from across higher education. Below are some of the excerpts from Steve’s remarks:

Steve’s speech was a rich speech with a lot of important thoughts, including using Sophia as an example of the kind of innovation coming in education. For me, the most significant point Steve makes is the need for comparable data across all of higher education. Once the gainful employment regulations are finalized (any day now?), all of higher education would benefit from a shift in the conversation to how we measure comparable data across all of higher ed and how that information is made available to the public and those who make policy.
For those interested in reading the entirety of Steve’s speech, shoot me a line and I’ll send it to you.

"2 Responses to "Shank Speech to Chamber"

1. Scott Burtness says:

I’d love to read Steve’s speech! The excepts you shared cut right to the heart of some very important conversations happening across the country. Thanks for sharing this!

2. Zena Meharry says:

I take pleasure in the commentary on this site, it definitely gives it that community sense!