A Tribute to My Friend, Sue VanderHeyden

November 2, 2012

Capella Education Company lost an important part of our family last Saturday when Sue VanderHeyden passed away from an almost year-and-a-half long battle with colon cancer. Sue was in charge of organizational effectiveness at Capella and she made us a better place to work. More importantly, Sue was a special personality with a huge heart and a beautiful family.

Sue VanderHeyden

Sue VanderHeyden

At her funeral today, members of the Capella family past and present gathered to celebrate Sue’s life and all those she touched. Sally Chial, Capella’s Senior Vice President-Human Resources, gave an absolutely touching tribute. Sue will always have a special place in our heart.

Sue’s sister gave us all comfort with the words of an old Irish blessing:

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

We’ll miss Sue and do our best to live up to the example she set.

One Response to "A Tribute to My Friend, Sue VanderHeyden"

1. Molly Steiner says:

As my leader for two years, Sue helped me grow significantly both personally and professionally. I will never forget the impact she had on my life and will always regret that she was taken from us far too soon.