Capella at 20: Changing Education, Changing Lives

January 31, 2013

As we continue to celebrate Capella’s 20th anniversary, we are pleased to introduce one of our founding faculty members. The following is from Bruce Fischer, PhD, LP, LMFT, who shares his Capella experience in his own words:

Bruce Fischer, PhD, LP, LMFT

Bruce Fischer, PhD, LP, LMFT

“When I started we had no students and a lot of exciting ideas! In the early days there was a bell in the office, and when a new learner signed up the bell was rung and there was always a lot of hooting and excitement. The other thing that was exciting was to see the faculty and students that we attracted. The early adapters were a unique group, some were brilliant and highly motivated – they just wanted to study in a non-traditional way.

After being a dean, associate dean, director of training, director of continuing education and faculty chair, I’ve settled into a core faculty role. I fondly remember the day we received full accreditation as a university. The site team visiting was so impressed with what we had created and shocked to see how excited and motivated the learners were! I am so proud to see how Capella is evolving in ways none of the founders never could have imagined! I’m here because it is still an exciting place to work and I continue to grow personally and professionally. Also, my Capella colleagues are a significant part of my life. Many of my close friends are people I hired in the early days of the School of Psychology. Over these 15 years the relationships have developed into deep friendships that truly enrich me personally and professionally.”