As a professional it’s a good practice to keep up with the current trends, new developments and research within your field. There are several ways you can maintain and increase your knowledge long after you earn your degree.
- Joining professional organizations is an excellent strategy. They usually provide periodic newsletters with membership and host conferences which allow opportunities for networking and discovering new ideas.
- Check out blogs written by practitioners and scholars within your profession. Try Google’s Blog Search or Technorati to locate blogs. Then use an Aggregator or Reader to easily keep up with new posts. Check out the RSS section of the Capella Library guide Librarians’ Cool Tools to learn more.
- You can use Journal and Book Locator (linked from the Library Homepage) to browse and read current issues of leading journals in your field. Try using a search engine such as Google to find professional organizations to view journals they recommend or publish. Then use the following steps to check if the journal is available in full text in the library databases and read articles from current issues.
- Go to the Library Web Site.
- Click Journal Locator
- Type in the journal title (e.g. Journal of Counseling Psychology) and search. Click the database name.
- Click the journal volume/issue and browse the current issues.
- To read the full text of any of the articles, just click the HTML Full Text or PDF Full Text link.