Posted by CapellaAdmin included in Research Tips
Erin’s blog post What makes that analysis so meta? earlier this month sparked an interest to provide some further information and examples of this quantitative method of research.
In our library database Gale Virtual Reference Library a search of Meta-analysis finds several encyclopedia entries that explain in detail more about this technique. Click on the article title link to access these entries in Gale..
- Huffcutt, Allen. (2007). Meta-Analysis. In Steven Rogelberg (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 2. (480-483). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Reference. Retrieved June 23, 2009, from Gale Virtual Reference Library.
- Last, John M. (2002). Meta-Analysis. In Lester Breslow (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Public Health, Vol. 3. (764-765). New York: Macmillan Reference USA. Retrieved June 23, 2009, from Gale Virtual Reference Library.
And here are some article examples using the meta-analysis research method roughly categorized by school:
- Malouff, J., Thorsteinsson, E., Schutte, N., & Rooke, S. (2009, July). Effects of Vicarious Punishment: A Meta-Analysis. Journal of General Psychology, 136(3), 271-286. Retrieved June 23, 2009, from Academic Search Premier database.
- Williams, S. (2006, September). The Effectiveness of Distance Education in Allied Health Science Programs: A Meta-Analysis of Outcomes. American Journal of Distance Education, 20(3), 127-141. Retrieved June 23, 2009, doi:10.1207/s15389286ajde2003_2
Human Services/Public Service Leadership
- Chappell, C. (2004, June). Post-Secondary Correctional Education and Recidivism: A Meta-Analysis of Research Conducted 1990-1999. Journal of Correctional Education, 55(2), 148-169. Retrieved June 23, 2009, from Academic Search Premier database.
- Leschied, A., Chiodo, D., Nowicki, E., & Rodger, S. (2008, July). Childhood Predictors of Adult Criminality: A Meta-Analysis Drawn from the Prospective Longitudinal Literature. Canadian Journal of Criminology & Criminal Justice, 50(4), 435-467. Retrieved June 23, 2009, from Academic Search Premier database.
- Forza, C., & Nuzzo, F. (1998, March). Meta-analysis applied to operations management: summarizing the results of empirical research. International Journal of Production Research, 36(3), 837-861. Retrieved June 23, 2009, doi:10.1080/002075498193714
- Hannay, J., Dybå, T., Arisholm, E., & Sjøberg, D. (2009, July). The effectiveness of pair programming: A meta-analysis. Information & Software Technology, 51(7), 1110-1122. Retrieved June 23, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.infsof.2009.02.001
Some easy reading for you during quarter break. I’m sure if you brought one of these articles to your 4th of July bash of choice you’d be the hit of the party!