Did you know that 14% of Capella learners are part of the military? Whether active duty, veterans, reservists, or Department of Defense/Uniformed Services personnel, the military makes up a large percentage of the learners we serve.
Maybe you’re one of them. Maybe you’re a family member or friend. Maybe you’re simply interested in researching about this select group of individuals and the myriad of resources available to them and others connected to or affected by military life.
Here are a few guides and resources compiled by librarians at other institutions you may find informative and useful. In particular, each guide includes links to some wonderful web resources that provide services and information to military personnel.
- http://www.ulib.iupui.edu/subjectareas/milsci (by Kathleen Hanna at IUPUI)
- http://people.sfcollege.edu/diana.matthews/subjguide/veterans.htm (by Diana Matthews at Santa Fe College in Gainesville, FL)
- http://nnlm.gov/training/veteranshealth/webresources.pdf (compiled by Terri Ottosen at the U of Maryland Health Sciences and Human Services Library)
- http://www.wo.ala.org/veteransinfo/index.php?title=Main_Page (American Library Association’s – Veterans Information @ Your Library site)
- http://www.loc.gov/vets/ (Library of Congress Veterans History Project)
Beyond these resources, Capella also has an Armed Forces Department that supports all military and veteran learners. Visit their site on iGuide to find contact information for the Armed Forces and Veteran Support staff, as well as information about VA Resources, Tuition Assistance, Military Scholarships, and Career Resources just to name a few things.
To navigate to their website go to iGuide — click Learner Services — click Armed Forces Support — click Armed Forces Support Home.