March 7th, 2014

Online Writing Centers: iGuide’s “hidden gems”

The library receives many emails about writing and APA format.  While writing assistance is not something the library offers, there are Capella resources that can help:   Capella Undergraduate Writing Center and the Capella Graduate Writing Center.

Here’s how to navigate to the Writing Center websites from iGuide:  Mouse over Learning Resources from the top menu bar and then choose Writing Program from the drop down menu.  You should see the two options for the graduate and undergraduate websites on the right side of the page.  Now you can see where the title of this blog post comes from!

Writing-Program-dropdown-menu

Writing-Center-websites

There are two sections in the Graduate Writing Center that you may want to bookmark or add to your favorites:

1. Need some help “distilling” the APA Publication Manual? Check out the  APA Style and Formating interactive module.
  2. Need some help with an annotated outline, writing in the third person, or writing a course paper?  You can find handouts covering this and a lot of other helpful information on the Graduate Writing Center’s Handouts & Modules page.

Still have questions?  You can contact the Writing Center at: WritingCenter@capella.edu.

- Kim

(Update of a 2008 post by Robin Veal)

Comments

Comment from Carol Purdy
Time August 13, 2010 at 9:23 am

Hello…
I was trying to get an example of an APA annotated outline, and went to the Writing Center’s handouts & modules page and was sent to a page letting me know that there was a server error. Help! I need to know what to include in, as well as an example of, and APA annotated outline. Please e-mail or call me at: (512) 268-9478. This is due by 8/14/2010, so I have 2 days to complete it. Thanks so much!
Carol Purdy

Comment from Peggy Loescher
Time January 9, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I need to obtain some information about writing in the third person. I have never had to write a essay writing in the third person, and I’m not sure exactly how this is done.

Peggy Loescher

Comment from Marissa
Time January 22, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I am attempted to gain information concerning annotated outlines, however the link for Handouts & Modules is recording an error.

Comment from Robin Hartkopp
Time August 3, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I need an example of a Annotated Outline, in APA format 6th edition. Thank you so much.

Comment from Lytonia Smith
Time December 5, 2011 at 10:03 am

I need an example of a Annotated Outline, in ApA format 6th edition

Comment from Ebonee Browning
Time February 6, 2012 at 10:54 am

Hi Im not sure how do I use this service. I was referred by my professor that I should seek help. How exactly does this service help me with improving my writing?

Comment from Brittney Dillard
Time August 9, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I was trying to find examples of an annotated outline. Please help have not had any luck in finding any. It due sunday august 12!!!!

Comment from Louise Freeman
Time February 15, 2013 at 6:57 am

I am trying to find out how to do an annotated outline. thanks

Comment from Sharon Brockington
Time February 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I’m trying to find out how to do an annotated outline and an example if possible.

Comment from kstaley
Time February 25, 2013 at 8:20 am

Hi Sharon,

Please see this more recent blog post for your answer:

The post contains information about what an annotated outline is, a well as links to the Writing Center’s documents to help you get started.

Best,
Kim

Comment from dcollins
Time February 25, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Good Afternoon
I am currently taking course DPA8002 Public Services Theory, Issues and Research. The instructor has assigned the class a Personal Writing Assessment task. I completed the personal writing assessment track 1 and there are a few questions that I would like to ask to assist me with strengthen my writing skills. The grammar section I received 0 out of 2, critical thinking 1out of 2, body organization 1 out of 2 and body evidence 2 out of 3. Do you have any helpful hints to assist me in these areas? I would also like to know if there are any APA formatting hints that you may be able to enlighten me on. I do understand the formatting, however I have to refer to my notes more than I would like too. I just don’t feel comfortable submitting an assignment without comparing my work to my APA notes. Is this something that is common?

Write a comment