Skip to main navigation | Skip to content | Skip to utility navigation

License Requirements

State Requirements

Requirements vary by state and the level of license. The requirements listed below are common across most states:

  • Completion of degree — and in some instances additional academic credit's beyond a master's degree
  • Specific coursework
  • Background check and fingerprints
  • Field experience, such as student teaching, internships, or practicum
  • Successful exam completion, including the Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations (MLTE)

Unique State Requirements

Each state has different licensing requirements that are governed by a specific group or agency such as the state department of education. To understand your state's requirements, start by contacting an enrollment counselor.

Additionally, you will want to do your own research on your state's requirements — the following resources may be helpful:

Because Capella University has students in all 50 states and numerous countries, we have designed our programs to meet national standards or accreditations recognized by many states and have also sought approvals specific to Minnesota, Georgia, and Arizona.

For most Capella students, earning a degree from Capella is similar to the rules and requirements if they were to earn a degree at a university outside of their state, and then move back to their state to pursue their professional license. Capella's enrollment counselors can provide specific information about unique educational requirements in your state.

Email an enrollment counselor or call 1.866.933.5981 to learn more.

Reciprocity and Transferring of Licenses

Generally, all states will accept another state's approved program or a license from another state, but there may be some additional requirements. This process is sometimes known as reciprocity. Reciprocity doesn't mean you can simply exchange your license in one state for a license in another. Reciprocity means that states are willing to accept graduates of another state's approved program, but still expect them to meet the same requirements as educators prepared in state.

Capella's enrollment counselors can provide specific information about unique education requirements in your state. Contact an enrollment counselor to learn more. As you relocate and seek new opportunities, Capella's licensure resources and support will be available throughout your program.

Alternative Licensure Routes

Many states offer a less traditional option for earning an initial teaching license. Some also offer this option for administrator licenses. Generally, you must meet the same requirements as someone completing a degree program that is designed for teacher or administrator preparation — you just meet the requirements in a different way. For example, a licensure candidate may begin teaching in the classroom while still completing required course work or training.

These alternative pathways require much more than simply passing exams. You will also be required to complete specific course work and training. If you're thinking of obtaining a license through an alternative route, carefully research the requirements and approved coursework providers for your state.

Capella University does not offer degree programs that will help you earn a license through one of these alternative pathways.

Capella University cannot guarantee licensure, certification, or endorsement. State regulations vary regarding professional licensure and salary benefits. It is learners' responsibility to understand and comply with requirements for their state.