RN to BSN/MSN Combined Option
Acquire in-demand nursing skills and advance your career all while saving time and money with Capella's RN-to-BSN/MSN Combined Option. If you're an RN and have either your associate degree in nursing or a nursing diploma, this is your chance to greatly reduce the time it would ordinarily take to earn your BSN to MSN online.
*Time to complete data reflects full-time status and average transfer credit amounts.
Here's How It Works
Combined bachelor's/master's options are designated bachelor's and master's degree offerings with a set of shared master's-level courses applied to the requirements for both degrees. To qualify for an RN to BSN to MSN online combined option, you must:
- Enroll in an eligible RN to BSN bachelor's degree program
- Earn a minimum 3.0 grade point average while completing the first 100 quarter credits of bachelor's-level course work
- Earn a minimum of 18 quarter credits at Capella University (first course and 12 quarter credits of core and/or specialization or minor courses)
After completing 100 quarter credits of bachelor's-level course work, you can request enrollment in an eligible combined option, during which you must:
- Complete 12 quarter credits of master's-level course work
- Earn a minimum 3.0 grade point average in each of the master's-level courses
- Maintain an overall cumulative grade point average of 3.0 to remain enrolled in your chosen combined option
Once you have successfully completed the requirements and received your bachelor's degree, you can apply for the master's degree program corresponding to your chosen combined option. We encourage you to enroll in your master's course work within one year of graduating from your bachelor's program. The 12 quarter credits of completed master's-level course work can be applied toward your master's degree program.
Learners enrolled in the online RN-to-BSN/MSN Combined Option will complete the following master's-level courses in lieu of BSN4004 and BSN4006:
12 course quarter credits
- Orientation to Graduate Nursing Study* (4 quarter credits)†
- Principles of Advanced Nursing Practice* (4 quarter credits)†
- Evidence-Based Practice and Technology for Nursing (4 quarter credits)
These courses are taken in addition to the general education and remaining required courses.
*This course has a prerequisite. Contact a Capella counselor or refer to the course descriptions for more information.
Admission to the Combined BSN/MSN option requires learners to have a current, unrestricted RN license.
† MSN6013 will replace MSN6003 within the core course requirements for learners who pursue the MSN Nursing Informatics and MSN Nursing Leadership and Administration specializations.