CERT Post-Masters Certificate Specialist Certificate in School Psychology
Total program credits needed for graduation: 50
- You must complete the master's degree in Psychology with specialization in School Psychology from Capella University.
- You must start the specialist certificate program in the first month of the quarter.
- You must pass the comprehensive learner assessment during the year-in-residence, part 2.
- You must complete PSY8150, PSY8235, and PSY8332 prior to beginning the practicum.
- You must complete all course work, residencies and the initial portfolio review prior to beginning the internship.
- You must pass the final portfolio review.
School Psychology year-in-residence, part 2 (PSY-R6595, PSY-R6596, PSY-R6597, PSY-R6598, PSY-R6599)
Clinical Training Requirements
Minimum of 350 practicum hours and 1,200 internship hours
50 quarter credits
- Biological Basis of Behavior (5 quarter credits)
- Exceptional Children in the Classroom (5 quarter credits)
- Psychopathology of Children and Adolescents (5 quarter credits)
- Psychological Assessments for School Psychologists* (5 quarter credits)
- Advanced Methods in School Psychology (5 quarter credits)
- Organization and Operation of the School (5 quarter credits)
- School Psychology Practicum 1 (3 quarter credits)
- School Psychology Practicum 2* (2 quarter credits)
- School Psychology Internship 1*+ (5 quarter credits)
- School Psychology Internship 2* (5 quarter credits)
- School Psychology Internship 3* (5 quarter credits)
*This course has a prerequisite. Contact an enrollment counselor or refer to the course descriptions for more information.
Capella University cannot guarantee licensure, endorsement, certification, authorization, other professional credential or salary advancement. State regulations and professional credential standards vary. It is the learner's responsibility to understand and comply with requirements for their states and professional associations. For more information on licensure, visit our licensure page. (Washington state learners are advised to go to: http://pathway.pesb.wa.gov/outofstate for more information.)
North Carolina residents are currently not eligible to enroll in this program.
This specialization has not been reviewed or approved by Pennsylvania; Pennsylvania residents will have to apply and meet requirements for certification as out-of-state candidates.
The Iowa Board of Educational Examiners requires graduates to first earn a Minnesota license and (if applicable) endorsement prior to applying for an Iowa license or endorsement. Capella assists learners seeking an Iowa license with understanding the Minnesota requirements and contacting state educator licensing offices. An Iowa resident seeking subsequent licensure from the Iowa Board of Education Examiners must contact that Board for licensure requirements in Iowa. See the education licensure page for contact information.
+Learners are required to take the Praxis Series tests concurrently with PSY8385. Learners are responsible for any costs associated with these examinations.
Sign Up for a Free One-Week Mini Course
Learn more about our online learning experience with a free one-week mini course.
Take a Single Course
You can enroll in any of our online courses without committing to a degree program. Simply sign up for a single course today — whether you're interested in a specific topic or just want to see if online learning is right for you. We recommend speaking first with an enrollment counselor to discuss your goals and ensure the credits you earn now can be applied to a degree program later.
To learn more, call 1.877.573.0699 or email an enrollment counselor.