Applicants must provide the following information for admission to Capella programs and specializations.
- Bachelor's degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency or an internationally recognized institution.
- Your official bachelor's transcripts, minimum grade point average of 2.7 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- 2 letters of recommendation completed by professionals who can assess your aptitude for graduate education in counseling.
- A 3-6 page essay.
- Your résumé or curriculum vitae (CV).
- A $50 non-refundable application fee. Fee is required to initiate an application for admission and must be paid as part of the application process. The fee covers the cost of transcript requests, transcript evaluation and other administrative costs.
- GRE and GMAT are not required for admission.
Applicants must provide 2 references who can offer an objective evaluation. The recommendation should speak to your aptitude for graduate education and include relevant examples. Appropriate references include work and volunteer supervisors, college/ university faculty, colleagues within the counseling/human services profession, and teaching colleagues (school counseling only).
Only one of your references may include a professional colleague. References may not include your personal clergy, personal current or past counselor/therapist, colleagues outside the counseling/human services profession, or friends/relatives.
Your essay must be 3 to 6 pages in length and address the following areas:
- Rationale for seeking specialization in a clinical counseling related program
- Impact of previous employment, volunteer work, and other human service or counseling experiences
- Culturally relevant interpersonal skills
- Self awareness
- Future professional goals in counseling
Your professional résumé or curriculum vitae must be prepared specifically for this application in Microsoft Word and should demonstrate career progression, leadership and overall achievements. The up-to-date résumé should cover:
- Your professional work experience
- Volunteering experience
- Certifications, training, and special awards The résumé should have a professional, easy-to-read appearance, and be checked for spelling errors.
To learn more, call 1.866.283.8039, or email us. When you connect with Capella, we will immediately put you in touch with an enrollment counselor trained to assist you with specific questions and needs for your area of interest.
International Student Requirements
You are considered an international applicant if you completed your highest degree outside of the U.S., regardless of where you currently live. International applications include all U.S. citizens and non-U.S. citizens who have completed their most recent academic course work, degree, or credential at an institution outside the U.S.
In addition to the above admission requirements, you will need to submit these materials:
- Minimum scores and acceptable tests for proof of English proficiency
- Transcript evaluation
Learn more about international student admissions.