Your browser does not support JavaScript! or JavaScript is currently disabled.
Save Program


Expand Your Opportunities with Licensure

Make the most of your degree from Capella University by earning your license. In most U.S. states and Canadian provinces, a professional license may be necessary for:

Do I Need a License?

Knowing your career goals and your state's requirements is key to understanding which license, if any, you need. Capella offers degree programs that help prepare you to meet state licensing prerequisites.

Your enrollment counselor can help you decide how this program aligns with your professional goals and help you understand your state's unique requirements. However, we cannot guarantee licensure, certification, or endorsement.

Capella Licensure Support

Capella's licensure team is up-to-date on the licensing requirements in all 50 states. We have successfully established relationships with state educator licensing offices.

Capella's licensure team supports all graduates through the license application process. This type of specialized support is available during your program, after graduation, and throughout your career.

The Licensing Process

Each state licensing agency or office creates rules or regulations that provide the specific details governing the profession, including licensing requirements. This process is defined by your state but typically involves some or all of the following:

  • Documenting how you have met specific educational components
  • Proving your fitness to practice
  • Demonstrating completion of any required clinical fieldwork experience
  • Successful examination(s) completion
  • Licensure application and fees

It is crucial to understand the licensing process in your state. Your enrollment counselor is a valuable resource as you research your state’s requirements. Email or call 866.283.8039 for more information.

State Licensure Requirements

Licensing requirements include the following for most states:

  • Completion of degree: Capella can help you complete this step, which includes coursework, clinical supervised fieldwork (practicum/internship), and national or state test
  • Application for license: This is between each individual applicant and the board or licensing office. Capella supports all graduates by verifying completion of the degree and/or specific coursework.
  • Maintaining the license: Most states require continuing education in order to renew a school counselor license or certificate.

Each state and province has different licensing requirements that are governed by a specific group or agency such as the educator licensing office. To understand your state's requirements, start by contacting your enrollment counselor. Additionally, you will want to do your own research on your state's requirements. The following resources may be helpful:

Miscellaneous Requirements

Many states have "fitness to practice" requirements. For example, if you have a medical condition that limits your ability to practice with reasonable skill and safety, chemical substance use within the past 2 years, past or current diagnosis of a sexual disorder, or criminal convictions, you may be prevented from obtaining a license.

Earning a Degree Out of State

Because Capella's main campus is located in Minnesota and we have students in all 50 states and 61 countries, we have designed our programs to meet national standards or accreditations recognized by many states. For our program, we have also sought approvals specific to Arizona, as state approvals are a key requirement to achieve educator licensure.

For most Capella students, earning a degree from Capella is similar to earning a degree at a university outside of their state, and then moving back to their home state to pursue their professional license. Capella's Enrollment Counselors can provide specific information about unique educational requirements in your state. Contact us to learn more.

Reciprocity and Transferring of Licenses

Most states have rules that address reciprocity and the transfer of licenses from another state, although some will require you to meet their state's educational requirements as if you were a new applicant. For education licenses, including school counseling, most states will accept a license from another state as the basis for licensure in their state without further educational assessment. As you relocate and seek new opportunities, Capella's licensure resources and support will be available to help you make the most of your Capella degree.

State Resources

+ Michigan

Addiction Counselor
Michigan Certification Board for Addictions Professionals

Licensed Professional Counselor
Michigan Board of Counseling

Marriage and Family Therapist
Michigan Board of Marriage and Family Therapy

Licensed Psychologist
Michigan Board of Psychology

School Counselor and School Psychologist
Michigan Department of Education

+ Virginia

Addiction Counselor
Virginia Board of Counseling

Licensed Professional Counselor
Virginia Board of Counseling

Marriage and Family Therapist
Virginia Board of Counseling

Licensed Psychologist
Virginia Board of Psychology

School Counselor and School Psychologist
Virginia Department of Education