PHD Doctor of Philosophy in Public Safety Emergency Management specialization
What You'll Learn
Outcome goals and graduates' proficiency levels
Each doctoral program and specialization is designed around expected learning outcomes (see Expected Program Outcomes below). End of program performance is determined during the comprehensive exam and dissertation process. Because the work is unique to each learner's dissertation or research topic and the criteria for evaluation are aligned to that work, we do not collect data on proficiency levels for doctoral programs.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Public Safety specializations
- Criminal Justice
- Emergency Management
- Public Safety Leadership
Quality and Professional Relevance
- Capella is a preferred provider of higher education for the FBI National Academy Associates (FBINAA).
- Capella is the first and currently only university recognized by Quality Matters™ at the program level for our commitment to course quality assurance in support of our public safety programs.
- Capella is one of very few online universities to offer a full progression of BS, MS, and PhD degrees in Public Safety.
- Capella faculty have extensive public safety experience in organizations such as the FBI, NYPD, Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Customs, U.S. Army, and the Florida Division of Emergency Management.
- All Capella Public Safety specializations were developed in a post-9/11, post-Hurricane Katrina environment.
- The National Security Agency and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security have designated Capella a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education.
Expected Program Outcomes for All Specializations
- Understand the current practices of the public safety fields.
- Conduct valid, reliable, and ethical research.
- Think critically and write effectively in one’s discipline and/or professional practice.
- Effectively advocate for social change and community improvements.
- Embrace the need for diversity/multicultural perspectives in decision-making.
- Develop social and professional ethics.
- Communicate professionally.