How Online Learning Works
Learn Online Anywhere, Anytime
At Capella, you will enjoy the flexibility of earning your degree on a schedule that fits your life. Our online course rooms are designed for asynchronous learning—that is, students and faculty participate in discussions at different times throughout the week. You will not attend class at a specific date and time, but you can expect to complete weekly assignments, reading and participation requirements.
Introducing FlexPath: A New Self-Paced Learning Option
FlexPath, Capella's innovative online learning format, allows you to develop the same competencies as our standard courses, only in a more flexible, efficient way. With FlexPath, you can complete your degree on your own schedule, at your own pace. Rather than weekly deadlines, you can complete your work anytime during the course.
Capella Course Rooms Are Designed for Busy Professionals
*Select courses have a required synchronous component.
What Can I Expect?
Each course syllabus will include:
- Course Summary An overview of the course outcomes and objectives, who the course is designed for and which specific skills you will have learned.
- Student Expectations Guidelines for your academic work and course room participation, plus Capella policies and procedures.
- Grading Criteria How course activities and course room participation will be evaluated and weighted for your final grade.
- Assignments An overview, scoring guide, and instructions to help you complete each assignment.
- Course Materials All resources used in your course, including textbooks and scholarly articles. Some of your textbooks may also be available online. You also will have access to our online library.
Your course will be divided into 5, 6, or 10 units and you will complete one unit each week. Course length varies by program. Each unit includes the readings, assignments, discussions and other activities you will be expected to complete for the week. In most cases, your weekly assignments will be due on Sunday evenings, but deadlines may vary.
To view the types of discussions, assignments and grading criteria you can expect in your courses, we highly recommend signing up for our free one-week mini course. Mini courses are offered 2 to 3 times per month, and can provide you with a realistic view into the Capella online experience.
Example Weekly Routine
Starting MondayReview unit introduction and assignments
Starting MondayBegin reading, research and writing assignments
Starting TuesdayParticipate in discussions
Starting ThursdayComplete assignments and assessments
Next, we recommend touring our course room.
If you have specific questions about the course room or online learning in general, your Capella counselor will be happy to answer your questions or connect you with a current student in your area of study. Contact us at 1.866.736.1745 or email.
In accordance with U.S. Department of Education (DOE) direct assessment approval requirements, a notification has been submitted to the DOE so that the FlexPath programs may be eligible for federal financial aid. Capella University will keep applicants and learners interested in FlexPath fully informed of any decisions made by the DOE.