Sign up for Mini Course
Sign Up for a Free One-Week Mini Course
Find out what it's like to take courses online at Capella with our free mini course. This non-graded course lasts one week, and you should plan to spend 7–9 hours total on course activities. Our current students helped design this mini course to ensure that you get an accurate impression of the Capella experience.
Sign Up for the Next Session
- Free Bachelor's Mini Course
- Free Doctoral & Master's Mini Course
- Already registered? You'll receive an email with courseroom access information when the mini course begins. If you didn't receive an email from us, check your spam folder or call 1.888.227.3552. For more information, download our Mini Course Troubleshooting Guide.PDF
What's a Mini Course?
This course includes the type of readings, discussions, and assignments that are part of all Capella courses. You'll walk through the process of submitting a short academic paper — from researching a current issue related to your area of professional interest, to engaging in a discussion with your classmates — without the pressure of a formal grade. A course facilitator is available to answer questions and help you navigate the courseroom. The mini course is offered every two weeks.
What Is Involved?
Your mini course experience will include:
- Reading an online essay about critical thinking
- Viewing 2 short videos about constructing effective written arguments
- Researching a current issue related to your area of professional interest
- Participating in a discussion in response to your chosen article
- Writing a 2–4 page position paper
- Discussing your classmates' papers
|Suggested Workload Schedule|
|Monday||Courseroom Tour, Introductions, Required Reading & Videos|
|Tuesday||Profession-Specific Article Research|
|Wednesday-Friday||Profession-Specific Article Discussion|
|Friday-Sunday||Assignment: Position Paper|
|Sunday||Optional: Position Paper Discussion|
You Get Out What You Put In
To get the most out of your experience, we recommend you participate as fully as possible. The mini course provides a great tutorial to familiarize yourself with Capella’s approach to online learning and helps prepare you to be successful in your Capella courses.
See How the Mini Course Helped Laura Get Ready to Learn Online
The best part was getting comfortable with the expectations so when the graded courses start, I'm already used to the environment…If someone was thinking about trying the free course, I'd say, 'You can't lose.'Laura Reid, MBA Learner