Whether you're just starting out or an experienced criminal justice professional, your time is valuable to us. We've designed our criminal justice program in a way that you may be eligible to apply transfer credit and previous work experience—such as Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST)—giving you the most direct path to your degree.
Our courses are 100% online with 24/7 access for ultimate flexibility and are taught by our distinguished faculty with real-world experience in the criminal justice field. You'll also practice risk assessment and scenario planning in a safe, controlled environment with our virtual simulations.
As a recognized institution, with partnerships from top-tier criminal justice organizations, you'll earn the respected credentials to match your experience and open up a wide variety of public and private sector career opportunities for your future with a bachelor's in criminal justice. This program is recognized by:
- The FBI National Academy
- International Association of Emergency Managers
- United States Secret Service
- National Sheriffs' Association
Are you thinking of a career change?
Criminal justice degrees are one of the most flexible and widely accepted degrees across all areas of employment. Having a criminal justice degree from Capella means you exhibit these highly sought after skills:
- In-depth understanding of societies’ reaction to crimes based on historical data and current trends—giving you the ability to effect important and significant social change.
- Exceptional critical thinking and decision making skills.
- Greater understanding of multicultural and community-based issues.
- In-demand leadership skills needed to change public perceptions of criminal justice professionals.
Capella’s Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice curriculum is designed to expand your understanding of skills necessary to excel in the field. Whether you’re a practitioner or are just starting out, you’ll build skills such as critical thinking, multicultural communication, problems solving, and conflict resolution.
Common jobs with an online bachelor's in Criminal Justice include:
- Police officer*
- Police chief
- Police lieutenant
- FBI agent
- Internal affairs investigator
- School resource officer
- Security manager
- Crime scene investigator
- TSA officer
- K-9 officer
- Community relations officer
- Public information officer/media relations
- Correctional Officer
- Emergency management specialist
- Emergency management director
- Child support agency worker
- Substance abuse counselor
- Community service coordinator
- Cybercrimes investigator
- Hearing officer
- Juvenile court counselor
- Nonprofit organization advocate
- Social worker
- Intelligence analyst
- Case manager
- Compliance officer
- Corporate security
*This program is not designed to prepare graduates for employment as law enforcement or peace officers. The qualifications to become law enforcement or peace officers vary; learners should check their state's certification process and requirements.
For a More In-Depth Study
With your BS in Criminal Justice, Capella also offers optional professional concentrations—giving you the opportunity to dive deeper into a specific knowledge area depending on your career goals—without adding any cost or time to complete your degree.
- Law Enforcement Leadership
- Emergency Management
- Business Intelligence
- Health Care Management
- Management and Leadership
- Human Resource Management
Earn Credit for What You Already Know
Your previous learning, work experience, and industry certifications may help you earn your degree in less time. To learn more, contact an enrollment counselor, or read up on our competency-based Prior Learning Assessment.
To learn more, call 866.933.5839, or email us. When you connect with Capella, we will immediately put you in touch with an enrollment counselor trained to assist you with specific questions and needs for your area of interest