Your browser does not support JavaScript! or JavaScript is currently disabled.
Save Program


Expand Your Opportunities with Licensure

Make the most of your PhD in Special Education Leadership degree from Capella University by earning an additional license, certificate, or endorsement. In most U.S. states and Canadian provinces, a professional license may be necessary for:

  • Access to employment: Allows administrators to work in P-12 public schools and some private school settings. Licensure is generally not required for administrators and instructors at colleges and universities, although some counseling positions in post-secondary settings may require a counseling license. Also some states license adult educators teaching through a school district program.
  • Student achievement: Licensing laws guarantee that educators have met a minimum standard of education and training. In other words, professional licensing ensures professional competency and preparedness.
  • Safety and professional integrity: Licensing also serves a gatekeeping function. It prevents some people from working in schools and provides a means of accountability for ethical violations. If you step out of bounds, you can lose your license and the ability to teach or work in schools.
  • Salary advancement: Most states have varying levels of licenses for teachers and administrators or leaders. Generally, completing education beyond a bachelor's degree and gaining experience in the field will allow you to move up to the next level of license. In many states, the level of license is directly tied to salary.

Do I Need a License?

Knowing your career goals and your state's requirements is key to understanding which additional license, certificate, or endorsement — if any — you need. Capella offers degree programs that help prepare you to meet state licensing prerequisites.

Your enrollment counselor can help you decide how this program aligns with your professional goals and help you understand your state's unique requirements. However, we cannot guarantee licensure, certification, or endorsement.

Capella does not currently offer any programs to help prepare for first-time or initial classroom teacher licensure/certification.

Capella Licensure Support

Capella's licensure team is up-to-date on the licensing requirements in all 50 states and we have established relationships with state educator licensing offices.

Capella's licensure team supports all graduates through the license application process. This type of specialized support is available during your program, after graduation, and throughout your career.

An enrollment counselor who specializes in your program will provide specific information about educational requirements for licensure, certification, or endorsement in your state. Email or call 877.225.2707 for more information.

The Licensing Process

Each state licensing board, agency, or office creates rules or regulations that provide the specific details governing the profession, including licensing requirements. This process is defined by your state but typically involves some or all of the following:

  • Documenting how you have met specific educational components
  • Proving your fitness to practice
  • Demonstrating completion of any required clinical fieldwork experience
  • Successful examination(s) completion
  • Licensure application and fees

It is crucial to understand the licensing process in your state. Your enrollment counselor is a valuable resource as you research your state’s requirements. Email or call 877.225.2707 for more information.

Capella University cannot guarantee licensure, certification, or endorsement. State regulations vary regarding professional licensure and salary benefits. It is each student’s responsibility to understand and comply with requirements for their state.

State Licensure Requirements

Requirements vary by state and the level of license. The requirements listed below are common across most states:

  • Completion of degree — and in some instances additional academic credits beyond a master's degree
  • Specific coursework
  • Background check and fingerprints
  • Field experience, such as student teaching, internships, or practicum
  • Successful exam completion

Each state has different licensing requirements that are governed by a specific group or agency such as the state department of education. To understand your state's requirements, start by contacting an enrollment counselor.

Additionally, you may want to research your state's requirements — the following resources may be helpful:

Because Capella University has students in all 50 states and numerous countries, we have designed our program to meet national standards or accreditations recognized by many states and have also sought approval specific to Minnesota.

For most students, earning a degree from Capella is similar earning a degree at a university outside of their state and moving back to their home state to pursue professional license. Capella's enrollment counselors can provide specific information about unique educational requirements in your state.

Email an enrollment counselor or call 1.866.933.5981 to learn more.

Reciprocity and Transferring of Licenses

Generally, states will accept another state's approved program or license, but there may be some additional requirements. This process is sometimes known as reciprocity. Reciprocity doesn't mean you can simply exchange your license in one state for a license in another. Reciprocity means that states are willing to accept graduates of another state's approved program, but still expect them to meet the same requirements as educators prepared in state.

Capella's enrollment counselors can provide specific information about unique education requirements in your state.

Alternative Licensure Routes

Some states offer a less traditional option for earning an administrator license. Generally, you must meet the same requirements as someone completing a degree program that is designed for administrator preparation — you just meet the requirements in a different way. For example, a licensure candidate may begin serving as a special education director while still completing required coursework or training.

These alternative pathways require more than simply passing exams. You will also be required to complete specific coursework and training. If you're thinking of obtaining a license through an alternative route, carefully research the requirements and approved coursework providers for your state. Capella does not offer degree programs that will help you earn a license through one of these alternative pathways.

Capella University cannot guarantee licensure, certification, or endorsement. State regulations vary regarding professional licensure and salary benefits. It is each student’s responsibility to understand and comply with state requirements.


+ State Resources

Alabama Department of Education

Alaska Department of Education and Early Development

Arizona Department of Education

Arkansas Department of Education

California Commission on Teacher Credentialing

Colorado Department of Education

Connecticut State Department of Education

Delaware Department of Education

Florida Department of Education

Georgia Professional Standards Commission

Hawaii Teacher Standards Board

Idaho State Department of Education

Illinois State Board of Education

Indiana Department of Education

Iowa Board of Educational Examiners

Kansas State Department of Education

Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board

Louisiana Department of Education

Maine Department of Education

Maryland State Department of Education

Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Michigan Department of Education

Minnesota Department of Education

Mississippi Department of Education

Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

Montana Office of Public Instruction

Nebraska Department of Education

Nevada Department of Education

New Hampshire Department of Education

New Jersey Department of Education

New Mexico Public Education Department

New York State Education Department

North Carolina Department of Public Instruction

North Dakota Department of Public Instruction

Ohio Department of Education

Oklahoma State Department of Education

Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission

Pennsylvania Department of Education

Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education

South Carolina Department of Education

South Dakota Department of Education

Tennessee Department of Education

Texas Education Agency

Utah State Office of Education

Vermont Department of Education

Virginia Department of Education

Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction

West Virginia Department of Education

Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction

Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board

District of Columbia Public Schools