Admissions - Transfers
Get Your Degree Faster and More Affordably
Save time and money on your Capella degree when you transfer credits from regionally accredited or internationally recognized institutions. Your previous military training and prior knowledge may also transfer into your degree program.
Learn more about transfer credits and prior learning assessments or contact your enrollment counselor at 1.866.679.9682 or via email for more information.
Nearly all Capella programs allow for transfer credits and each program specifies the maximum number of transfer credits allowed. Courses will be evaluated and those with significant shared content from regionally accredited or internationally recognized institutions will be applied toward your program.
Capella operates on a 10-week, quarter-based term, making 1 semester credit equal to 1.5 quarter credits in transfer. Transfer credits will be considered regardless of how long ago they were earned, except courses for psychology programs within the Harold Abel School of Social and Behavioral Sciences—these must have been completed no more than10 years prior to the date of application to Capella.
Courses must meet Capella's transfer credit and prior learning assessment policy [PDF] and your program's specific criteria. Below is a basic overview of some factors that will be considered during the credit transfer evaluation. Contact your enrollment counselor at 1.866.679.9682 or via emailPDF for more information.
|Evaluation Factors||Yes||No||Will be considered|
|Credit awarded from an academic institution or program that was accredited prior to the applicant’s withdrawal from the institution.|
|Credit awarded by an institution or program with provisional accreditation at the time the applicant withdrew from the institution.|
|Credit awarded by another institution’s petition for credit, portfolio assessments, or institution-specific credit by examination.|
|Credit awarded by other institutions through processes such as transfer, credit by a standardized exam such as CLEP or DSST.|
|Undergraduate course work completed with a grade of "C-" or better.|
|Graduate course work completed with a grade of "B-" or better.|
|Graduate-level courses applied toward a previous undergraduate degree.|
|Vocational courses from technical colleges and programs.|
|Courses completed outside of the U.S.|
A More Direct Path to Graduation
Capella Students that Received Transfer Credits Toward Their Program
Capella students enjoy a shorter and more affordable route to graduation through credit transfer. Approximately 75% of bachelor's students receive transfer credit toward their program, with 50% bringing in more than 50 credits. Similarly, 70% of doctoral students use credit transfer to save time and money on their program, with over half receiving 25 – 50 transfer credits. Because most master's students enter with only foundational coursework from bachelor's programs, only about 10% receive transfer credits.
Articulation Agreements: A Simplified Transfer Process
Experience a simplified transfer process and streamlined transition from a 2-year to a 4-year degree program thanks to articulation agreements with more than 100 colleges. In total, we have relationship agreements with more than 700 colleges. You might also benefit from Capella's alliance partnerships, which include exclusive tuition discounts and grants to save you money as well as time on your program. Email or call an enrollment counselor at 1.866.679.9682 to learn more.
Our Community College Alliances
- Maricopa Community College District
- Mohave Community College
- Pima Community College District
- City College of San Francisco
- Heald College
- Los Rios Community College District
- Mira Costa
- Mt. San Jacinto College
- San Diego Community College District
- Santa Monica College
- Colorado Community College System
- Brevard Community College
- College of Central Florida
- Daytona State College
- Florida Keys Community College
- Florida State College of Jacksonville
- Hillsborough Community College
- Palm Beach Community College
- Pensacola State College
- Polk State College
- Valencia Community College
- DeKalb Technical College
- Des Moines Area Community College
- Eastern Iowa Community College District
- Iowa Community College Online Consortium
- Kirkwood Community College
- Illinois Central College
- Joliet Junior College
- McHenry County College
- Kentucky Community Technical College System
- Frederick Community College
- Lansing Community College
- Mid-Michigan Community College
- Wayne County Community College District
- Century College
- Dakota County Technical College
- Inver Hills Community College
- Lake Superior College
- MN West Community & Technical College
- Normandale Community College
- Saint Paul College
- South Central Technical College
- Southeast Technical College
- Metropolitan Community College
- Western Nebraska Community College
- Bergen Community College
- College of Southern Nevada
- CUNY-City Colleges of New York
- Eastern Gateway
- Hocking Community College
- North Central State College
- Sinclair Community College
- Zane State College
- Oklahoma City Community College
- Chemeketa Community College
- Rogue Community College
- Harrisburg Community College
- Lehigh Carbon Community College
- Kilian Community
- Cleveland State
- Nashville State
- Alamo Community College District
- Alvin Community College
- Central Texas College
- Dallas County Community College District
- Houston Community College System
- Laredo Community College
- Lee College
- Texas State Technical Colleges
- Trinity Valley Community College
- Northern Virginia Community College
- Thomas Nelson Community College
- Bellevue Community College
- Clover Park Technical College
- Everett Community College
- Green River Community College
- Lower Columbia College
- Pierce College
- Renton Technical College
- Seattle Community College District
- Truckee Meadows Community College
- Wisconsin Technical College System
- Northern Wyoming CC District
Apply More Credits to Your Bachelor's Program
The following nationally recognized programs may provide additional credit toward a Capella bachelor's degree program. Minimum scores may be required.
- Advanced Placement (AP) examinations
- International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations
- College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)
- ACE-recommended learning experiences including those earned through Sophia Pathways for College Credit
The Credit Transfer Process
As part of your application, you have the option to give permission for Capella to automatically request—and pay for—your official transcripts to evaluate your transfer credits.
Your transcript will be evaluated against Capella's transfer credit and prior learning assessment policy [PDF] and based on factors such as applicability to degree requirements, grade earned, match to Capella courses per department, title, level, and description of course content.
You will receive a transfer credit evaluation, including a summary of the courses that have been accepted for transfer; transfer credit is awarded for those courses.
You can appeal your transfer credit evaluation by submitting additional information, including and extended course description and syllabus.
You will receive a final appeal determination within 90 calendar days.
Earn Credit for Your Prior Knowledge
We value what you bring to Capella and our Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) program allows you to earn credit when you demonstrate relevant, college-level knowledge gained through:
- Formal and informal work training
- Continuing education programs
- Professional certifications
- Other learning experiences
Your enrollment counselor can help you determine how your prior knowledge can save you time and money on your degree. Email or call 1.866.679.9682 for more information.
View Capella's Prior Learning Assessment policy.PDF
The Council for Adult and Experiential Learning recently found that graduation rates are 2 and a half times higher for students with prior learning credit..
How PLA Works
The PLA process can require a significant level of effort, but we believe the long-term payoffs are substantial. For example, Capella students who earn credit through the PLA process graduate 1 to 4 quarters earlier and with half the debt of other alumni.
There are 2 ways to earn credit through Capella's Prior Learning Assessment:
Earn credit with a written assessment of your knowledge related to course competency and a statement detailing why you should be granted for the course you have selected.
Earn credit through a brief assessment form and supporting documentation of specified current professional certifications.
Your enrollment counselor is a valuable resource as you consider your options and eligibility for Capella's prior learning assessment.
Your enrollment counselor can help you determine if you are eligible for our Prior Learning Assessment. Email or call 1.866.679.9682 to learn more.
PLA is available when the following criteria are met:
- You are currently enrolled in a program at Capella.
- You have completed your first course.
- The course you wish to apply PLA credit to is eligible for PLA and is aligned with the requirements of your program.
Residents of Washington may receive credit through our prior learning assessment only in the bachelor's and MBA programs.