As technological advancements have worked their way into health care, hospitals and other organizations are finding themselves with tremendous amounts of data. Along with the need to collect and safely store data, health care is being presented with an even larger challenge: How can the data be used to improve the quality of patient care and population health, and reduce costs by increasing efficiencies?
In your online RN-to-MSN in Nursing Informatics from Capella University you will be immersed into the world of health informatics and will gain the skills and knowledge needed to influence strategic planning, decision making, and clinical project management. As you progress through the curriculum, you will learn best practices in health informatics essentials, including patient safety, electronic medical records, workflow, meaningful use, change management, and the health information system life cycle.
- Direct Path: Complete your RN-to-MSN without accruing the cost or time to complete a BSN. Transfer up to 12 credits to save time and money.
- Accredited: Capella’s MSN program is accredited* by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Credible: Capella’s nursing informatics curriculum integrates the American Association of Colleges of Nursing’s (AACN) Essentials of Master’s Education in Nursing, Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) competencies, and Technology Informatics Guiding Education Reform (TIGER) Initiative Informatics competencies.
- Real-World Experience: Practice real-life informatics scenarios (e.g., improving interoperability, clinical workflow, ICD-10, etc.) in a fail-safe, virtual health care environment during early coursework—then use those skills in your practice immersion as you gain the confidence to lead at the top of your field.
- HIMSS Membership: Free HIMSS membership with enrollment.
- Doctoral-Prepared Faculty: Provide comprehensive feedback on your work, encourage different ways of thinking, and deliver insight into how well you’re demonstrating competencies.
- Online Learning: 24-hour access to courses through Capella’s virtual courseroom.
*The MSN degree program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC 20036, (202) 887-6791 http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation.
This program incorporates the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Nursing Informatics guidelines and resources, which will prepare graduates to sit for the RN-BC Nursing Informatics board certification exam upon completing their RN-to-MSN Nursing Informatics degree. If you already hold the RN-BC Nursing informatics credential, you can earn up to 8 credits (2 courses) - saving you up to 6 months and more than $3,000.
With your MSN in Nursing Informatics, you’ll prepare to lead the way in electronic health record implementation, improve population health, and implement and demonstrate the meaningful use of information systems within a health care organization. Discover specifically what you'll learn—and how you can apply it.
View full learning and career outcomes report for this program at CapellaResults.com.
Job Titles to Explore*
Individuals with an MSN in Nursing Informatics can explore positions such as clinical informatics coordinator, informatics nurse specialists, chief nursing information officer, regional director, clinical informatics, systems analyst, clinical systems team manager, health outcomes analytics manager, clinical workflow analyst, or project manager for EHR implementation. Learn more about potential career outcomes.
To learn more, call 866.933.5955, or email us. When you connect with Capella, we will immediately put you in touch with an enrollment counselor trained to assist you with specific questions and needs for your area of interest.
*These examples are intended to serve as a general guide. Many factors determine what position an individual may attain and Capella can't guarantee a graduate will secure any specific job title.
Aligned to HIMSS
Aligned to HIMSS
Capella is an Academic Organizational Affiliate with Healthcare Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS). HIMSS is a global, caused-based, nonprofit organization focused on bettering health through IT. Enrollment in this program provides you with a free HIMSS membership—a benefit available to individuals in any of our informatics programs.